Thursday, May 12, 2016

"Waiting" illustration + process sketches

This illustration has kind of an involved backstory, so I thought it might be fun to show to talk about how it evolved. But first, the final painting.


This idea started out as this weird little doodle. I was thinking about waiting periods and what they feel like, which brought to mind the early stages of plant growth. What I ended up with was this sprout girl waiting inside her plant.


I liked the concept, but this sketch felt a little unrealized. I wanted to develop the idea further and make something a bit more cohesive. I did some rough, exploration doodles of the plant bulb and sprout girl. She ended up being a bit more "plantish", which I really liked.



My first attempt at this illustration was a dissatisfying, but useful learning experience (although I did initially think of scrapping the whole project!) In trying to make a robust image, I over complicated it and the initial simplicity and mood was lost. After a bit of analysis (and a break), I figured out how to flesh out my original idea without going overboard. 


Which brings us back to the final product. Over all, I pretty happy with it. It still feels like a weird, potentially confusing idea, but I like it anyway.



onward and upward,
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment