Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Illustration project 1: The outlets

Here is my first Illustration project! I took the phrase "The outlets looked at me with such distressing expressions that I wanted to ask them what was wrong" and came up with an image and layout for it. For a first try, I think its pretty good. I can't decide if I should make the words "distressing expressions" look like the other words, or if they look ok as is. I love the style though; its definitely one I want to keep working with. The background is newspaper, tissue paper and white paint and the outlets and words are pen on newspaper and white paint. 



sincerely,
me

2 comments:

  1. you do realize that, with the text and everything, besides being an illustration, this is also a form of graphic design? GASP! what are you doing over here on the dark side? :D

    but seriously: I like it a lot! it's fun when cold objects are rendered somewhat organically (and vice versa), and the concept is simple and clever. and of course the medium is really cool! I feel like the composition might be a little heavy on the right side, but arranging text always requires practice for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do realize I've ventured into the shadowy realm of the graphic arts. I'll probably be over here quite a bit, but I do remember hearing once that the dark side had cookies, so I figure it can't be all that bad.;-)

    Glad you like it, though! The composition is a bit unbalanced. I did commit the cardinal sin of gluing parts of the collage down before I had the whole thing figured out, so I guess this is what I get. I still can't decided if I should do the project over, or leave it as is. We'll see, I guess. Still, I think it turned out well for a first project.

    ReplyDelete