Thursday, September 19, 2013

Walking the cloud pt 1

Not gonna lie, this piece gave me some trouble. The mood is a bit difficult to pin down, so figuring out the right colors was harder than I anticipated. To me, this image is whimsical and odd, but there could also be a touch of foreboding in it too. How do you capture both those things with color?

In the end, I decided to just sketch it out digitally and figure out colors later. In fact, I would love to hear your thoughts; what mood does this image convey and what sort of colors would you pick? Feel free to leave me a comment about it, if you'd like. 


Here's the original doodle........


......and here's the (for now) final product! The bag of groceries and the arm with the string turned out to be a pain to get right. Also, what do you think of my watermark/signature in the corner? I really like it! I think I'll stick with this one. 



sincerely,
Beth

2 comments:

  1. So cool!! I'm terrible with color, so I won't attempt to advise you on that, but as for the mood, are you going to have rain coming from the cloud or not? If not, it feels pretty cheery to me, but if there is rain, then a gloomier mood, yet there's still the whimsy, as you say, in the style of the drawing.
    The watermark is neat! If I could make a suggestion, perhaps the text would look better centered in the box, since the tree is centered. Just throwing that out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trufflehunter! In the original doodle, I did have some rain coming down, but I omitted it in this one to avoid over complication. Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I like it without color; maybe I'll just darken the lines a little and add a bit of value.

    Thanks for the impute on the watermark. You're right, I should probably center the text. I haven't decided if I'm going to hand draw the image each time, or save a "final version" and add it to each piece that I finish. I'm also thinking about having the y drop out of the box, like the top of the tree. Y's are tricky position with other stuff and I have two to deal with! Anyway, I'll keep tweaking it.

    ReplyDelete