Thursday, July 7, 2016

Gouache doodles

A few months ago, I decided to experiment with gouache paints to see if they would be fun/useful to work with. I bought a set, but then we moved and I really didn't get a chance to try them out. Well, now that things are (slightly) calmer than before, I decided to give the gouache a try on a few abstract doodles.


So far, it seems to handle a lot like watercolor, which is nice, because I know how watercolor works. It can go on thicker and darker than watercolor, though I haven't tried pushing it in that direction yet. You can also layer one color over another without getting a lot of color bleed and you can paint white directly on top of other colors! (This doesn't sound like a big deal, but with watercolor, you have to be super careful not to get color on any areas you want to be white!)



Gouache does have a tendency to dry quickly and stay where you put it. You can't really go back and pull up the dry pigment with a damp brush, like you can with watercolor. This makes getting an even wash over large areas tricky. But to be honest, I'm not super good at getting large, even washes with watercolor!


So far, I really like this stuff! I plan on using it in tandem with my watercolor paints, so they can each make up for the other's short comings. I have a lot to learn when it comes to painting, but I'm looking forward to working in this new medium more! ^_^



onward and upward,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment