Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Ever Changing World

Last week, last Friday to be exact, Dresden, one of my very best friends gave birth to her first child. (Even typing that feels weird.) She and her husband Dan decided to keep the gender a secret till the baby arrived, so everyone was kept guessing right up to when Calvin Christopher showed up. I've had a week now to adjust to this news, but it still feels so strange.

In general, I'm fairly indifferent to babies. Don't get me wrong, they're great, but I'm definitely more drawn to small, fluffy animals. However, all of that changes when the baby belongs to one of your closest friends. Suddenly, I am awed by this new, little person who has entered the world. Suddenly, my friend has become the mother to a son! I feel like I'm entering a new stage of life and I'm not even the one with the baby!

The world has shifted under my feet and I am still trying to adjust. Change is always a bit unnerving, especially when it pushes you further into adulthood. I pretty sure that I'll never actually become a real grown-up, but somehow that doesn't excuse me from going through all the grown-up things. Still, I'm doing my best to flow with whatever season life decides I've arrived at. It may just take some time.

sincerely,
me

P. S. If this post comes out disjointed and ramblish, I blame it on being sick. In fact, I should probably be sleeping right now.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear sweet Bethany! The novel for your inbox is in the works. It might take me a few days to finish typing but it will be there soon. Shifting world...so very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, my dear, for entering into this new phase of life. I am so happy for you and if you ever need me, I'll be here.

    ReplyDelete