Thursday, February 19, 2015

Clyde the deer janitor


Guys, I am so super happy with how this piece turned out!!! It was one of those rare, glorious moments when everything came together to create exactly the kind of mood I was aiming for! ^_^ 


Back story time: The idea for this image started with a Facebook post my cousin Meredith wrote about "the enigmatic janitor Clyde" at her place of employment. It got me wondering about janitors and their sometimes mysterious natures. Which, in turn, sparked the thought, "Well, what if he's a deer and he doesn't want anyone to find out, so he works as a night shift janitor, where very few people will ever see him." The concept just sounded so cool that I had to draw it. 

As I mentioned earlier, one of my favorite things about this piece is the mood. It's like a scene that you've happened upon late at night when the florescent lights are stark, and everything feel surreal and otherworldly. The next morning, in the rational light of day, the idea of a graveyard shift deer janitor seems impossible and you doubt what you thought you saw, but at the time, it seemed plausible because you were tired and just accepted what was there without question. 


onward and upward,
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment