Thursday, January 14, 2016

Yeti's character design

Originally, I planned to blog about something else this week because I wasn't sure if I'd be ready to do another Pixie and Yeti post, but then the project I was going to blog about didn't come together in time. So I'm going to talk a little about the process of designing Yeti.

The first yeti I ever drew was in October '15 during my first Inktober. I drew this guy and called him a Dog-earred yeti.


After that, the idea of re-imagined and unique yetis interested me, so I played around with adding different feature to see how that would change the character. I drew this one, who I think of as an Owl faced yeti, a sort of mysterious, forest guardian, perhaps.


Around the same time, back in Spring of '15 I believe, Lauren and I were discussing the idea of changing the collaborative project we'd been working on to a picture book. As we thought about possible characters, I suggested yetis, because I had some past experience with them. I started playing around with making a warm, friendly yeti character for our story.



After a few attempts, I arrived on this design.




Time passed, life got crazy, and Lauren and I put our picture book project on hold. Then, a few months ago, once we'd decide to start working on it again, I start really refining Yeti's design.


Drawing him in profile is a challenge. I still haven't got that totally figure out yet. :-/


His face shape change a little to give it more dimension (and cuteness!). I also realized that adding fur was very important to making the character feel like Yeti.


Which brings us to where we are now.


I still don't have everything about Yeti figured out yet. I'm still not sure how he looks from the profile or behind. I need to make sure I can draw him in any pose our story calls for. I'm also not sure if he has any name beyond Yeti. But the basic elements of his character are there; large, egg-shaped body, deer antlers, droopy goat ears, furry. I picture his personality as being quiet, contemplative, and a bit wary of things that seem new or scary. He also loves cheese. :-)

Thanks for letting me share Yeti's design journey with you! Unless anything unexpected happens, I plan on talking about Pixie next week.


onward and upward,
Bethany

2 comments:

  1. Seeing this process is really interesting!! It's fascinating how much some parts have changed and what other parts have remained consistent. I agree totes agree with the need for fur. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, vermontsnowboarder! Yeti's design has been a lot of fun to work with. He's definitely one of my favorite characters to draw! ^_^

    ReplyDelete