Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bulbasaur Illustration


Last month, I started playing Pokémon for the first time!! (I'm making up for missed opportunities as a child.) Jon has a smart phone now, so he was able to download an emulator for me. Anyway, it's super fun and I now have a totally valid excuse to make Pokémon fan art!!! Yay!! ^_^  And since I chose Bulbasaur as my first pokémon, he seemed like a good place to start.



I've been wanting to try collage in illustration for awhile and this seemed like the perfect chance to experiment. Most collage illustrations tend to call a lot of attention to the individual elements used and lack visual depth. My goal is to combine the magazine pieces with watercolor to create something that's a little more blended. I still want the magazine pieces to be recognizable, but not so much so that they take away from the subject matter as a whole.
 
Needless to say, I have a long, long way to go before I feel really proficient in this technique. There are so many options to explore and I'm still really slow at the process. But I'm excited about all the possibilities this medium holds. And at the chance to make more Pokémon art! ;-)

onward and upward,
Bethany


No comments:

Post a Comment