Wednesday, May 23, 2012

On Being Brave

I've never considered myself brave. I always looked up to the plucky, spitfire heroines of books and movies who could stand against anything. They were the girls I wished I was but could never really be. But recently, I realized something about bravery; it only exists in the presence of fear. If there isn't any fear involved in the situation, then there isn't anything to overcome. You can't be brave until you've first been afraid.

True bravery isn't bounding carelessly forward into the jaws of danger and certain death. It's not letting the things that scare your socks off stop you from moving forward. That kind of courage doesn't look as nice and shiny as the warrior princess or super hero variety, but it's legit bravery none the less.

sincerely,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment